Volunteer Leadership Program
Grow as a Leader
“VLPs” are high school students – both current Breakthrough students and other interested students from local high schools – who serve as leaders and role models to our hard working rising fifth – eighth graders during our intensive summer academic program.
This is an incredible opportunity to give back to younger students while developing as a leader. VLP responsibilities include:
- Decorating the school to enhance Breakthrough spirit
- Helping to run lunch service
- Assisting a Breakthrough teacher in their academic class
- Co-teaching an elective class, such as dance, poetry, or soccer
- Supporting students in our after-school tutoring program
- Helping students organize their materials (homework binders, planners, and backpacks)
- Supervising students during All-School Meeting (ASM), lunch, recess, or after school
- Overseeing student use of the library
- Leading students in fun Breakthrough cheers
- Helping with special events such as Field Day, Spirit Week, Community Day, and Celebration
- Creating our annual Summerbook
- Assisting with administrative work (making copies, filing, etc)
- Helping to enforce the norms and expectations at Breakthrough
The commitment is mid-June – early August of each year, including one week of orientation. VLPs volunteer every Monday – Friday from 11 am to 5:30 pm.
The application process for summer 2019 is now closed; it will reopen again in late 2019 for summer 2020. Please note that applicants must be ninth, tenth, eleventh, or twelfth graders when they apply.
To express interest and be notified when the application launches, please complete this brief form.