Volunteer Leadership Program
Grow as a Leader
“VLPs” are high school students – both current Breakthrough students and other interested students from local high schools – who serve as leaders and role models to our hard working rising fifth – eighth graders during our intensive summer academic program.
This is an incredible opportunity to give back to younger students while developing as a leader. VLP responsibilities include:
- Decorating the school to enhance Breakthrough spirit
- Helping to run lunch service
- Assisting a Breakthrough teacher in their academic class
- Co-teaching an elective class, such as dance, poetry, or soccer
- Supporting students in our after-school tutoring program
- Helping students organize their materials (homework binders, planners, and backpacks)
- Supervising students during All-School Meeting (ASM), lunch, recess, or after school
- Overseeing student use of the library
- Leading students in fun Breakthrough cheers
- Helping with special events such as Field Day, Spirit Week, Community Day, and Celebration
- Creating our annual Summerbook
- Assisting with administrative work (making copies, filing, etc)
- Helping to enforce the norms and expectations at Breakthrough
We are planning an in-person program for summer 2022. Anticipated dates are below. New this year, VLP Level I and II’s will choose one track to participate in (4 or 5 weeks total, including training). VLP Level III’s will serve for the entire summer (8 weeks total, including training). Please note that all VLPs must be vaccinated against COVID-19 (including a booster shot).
- VLP Level II and III Training: June 6 – 10, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 4:30 – 7:30 pm each day)
- All-VLP Orientation: June 13 – 17, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 11:30 am – 5 pm each day, as well as some evening events)
- Track I: June 21 – July 8, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 8:30 am – 5:30 pm each day)
- Track 2: July 11 – July 29, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 8:30 am – 5:30 pm each day)
The VLP application for summer 2022 is now available! The first step in the process is to complete the interest form; after that, we’ll contact you with the full application. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis from Jan 4 – Apr 1, 2022, though we may close the application prior to Apr 1 if applicant numbers are high; applying early is highly encouraged. Questions can be directed to Shane Brent-Maldonado, Director of High School Programs.