Volunteer Leadership Program
Grow as a Leader
“VLPs” are high school students – both current Breakthrough students and other interested students from local high schools – who serve as leaders and role models to our hard working rising fifth – eighth graders during our intensive summer academic program.
This is an incredible opportunity to give back to younger students while developing as a leader. VLP responsibilities include:
- Decorating the school to enhance Breakthrough spirit
- Helping to run lunch service
- Assisting a Breakthrough teacher in their academic class
- Co-teaching an elective class, such as dance, poetry, or soccer
- Supporting students in our after-school tutoring program
- Helping students organize their materials (homework binders, planners, and backpacks)
- Supervising students during All-School Meeting (ASM), lunch, recess, or after school
- Overseeing student use of the library
- Leading students in fun Breakthrough cheers
- Helping with special events such as Field Day, Spirit Week, Community Day, and Celebration
- Creating our annual Summerbook
- Assisting with administrative work (making copies, filing, etc)
- Helping to enforce the norms and expectations at Breakthrough
We are planning an in-person program for summer 2022. Anticipated dates are below. New this year, VLP Level I and II’s will choose one track to participate in (4 or 5 weeks total, including training). VLP Level III’s will serve for the entire summer (8 weeks total, including training). Please note that all VLPs must be vaccinated against COVID-19 (including a booster shot).
- VLP Level II and III Training: June 6 – 10, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 4:30 – 7:30 pm each day)
- All-VLP Orientation: June 13 – 17, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 11:30 am – 5 pm each day, as well as some evening events)
- Track I: June 21 – July 8, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 8:30 am – 5:30 pm each day)
- Track 2: July 11 – July 29, 2022 (Mon – Fri from approximately 8:30 am – 5:30 pm each day)
The application process for summer 2022 is now closed. We will reopen the application in December 2022 for summer 2023 volunteers. To express interest and receive notification when the application launches, please complete this short form. Questions can be directed to Shane Brent-Maldonado, Director of High School Programs.