Volunteer Leadership Program
What is a VLP?
VLPs are high school students who serve as leaders and role models to our rising fifth – eighth graders during our summer academic program. This is an incredible opportunity to give back to younger students while developing as a leader. Responsibilities include:
- Decorating the school to enhance Breakthrough spirit
- Co-teaching an elective class, such as dance, poetry, or soccer
- Supporting students in our after-school tutoring program
- Helping with lunch and recess
- Leading students in fun Breakthrough cheers
- Planning special events such as Field Day, Spirit Week, Community Day, and Celebration
- Creating our annual Summerbook
- And more!
The first step in applying for summer 2023 is to complete the form above. We’ll follow up with a link to the full application when it opens on December 15, 2022. The application is due April 1, 2023, but we recommend completing it sooner, since we usually fill up quickly. Questions can be directed to Shane Brent-Maldonado, Director of High School Programs.
Training + Orientation Weeks
- VLP Level II and III Training: June 5 – 9, 2023 (Mon – Fri, hours TBD)
- Orientation (all VLPs): June 12 – 16, 2023 (Mon – Fri, roughly 11:30 am – 5 pm each day, plus occasional evening events)
- Track I: June 20 – July 7, 2023 (Mon – Fri from 8:30 am – 5:30 pm each day, plus occasional evening events)
- Track 2: July 10 – July 28, 2023 (Mon – Fri from 8:30 am – 5:30 pm each day, plus occasional evening events)
- All students currently in high school (grades 9 – 12) are eligible to apply, whether or not you’ve been part of Breakthrough in the past.
- We strive to provide a stipend to our volunteers each summer. Stipend amounts for summer 2023 will be finalized by late spring. In addition, all hours count toward high school volunteer requirements.