Volunteer Leadership Program
Grow as a Leader
“VLPs” are high school students – both current Breakthrough students and other interested students from local high schools – who serve as leaders and role models to our hard working rising fifth – eighth graders during our intensive summer academic program.
This is an incredible opportunity to give back to younger students while developing as a leader. VLP responsibilities include:
- Decorating the school to enhance Breakthrough spirit
- Helping to run lunch service
- Assisting a Breakthrough teacher in their academic class
- Co-teaching an elective class, such as dance, poetry, or soccer
- Supporting students in our after-school tutoring program
- Helping students organize their materials (homework binders, planners, and backpacks)
- Supervising students during All-School Meeting (ASM), lunch, recess, or after school
- Overseeing student use of the library
- Leading students in fun Breakthrough cheers
- Helping with special events such as Field Day, Spirit Week, Community Day, and Celebration
- Creating our annual Summerbook
- Assisting with administrative work (making copies, filing, etc)
- Helping to enforce the norms and expectations at Breakthrough
Anticipated dates for summer 2021 are as follows:
- June 9 – 11: Senior VLP Orientation
- June 14 – 18: All-VLP Orientation
- June 21 – July 30: Summer Program
Orientation hours will vary, but will typically run from approximately 11 am – 5:30 pm. From June 21 – July 30, VLPs will serve on one of two shifts Mon – Thu: either (1) 8:30 am – 1:30 pm or (2) 12:30 pm – 5:30 pm. On Fri, all VLPs will volunteer from 12 – 5 pm.
We anticipate that the VLP application for summer 2021 will be available in December 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until April 30, 2021. To receive notification when the application launches, please complete this brief form. Questions can be directed to Shane Brent-Maldonado, Director of High School Programs.