Volunteer Leadership Program
Grow as a Leader
“VLPs” are high school students – both current Breakthrough students and other interested students from local high schools – who serve as leaders and role models to our hard working rising fifth – eighth graders during our intensive summer academic program.
This is an incredible opportunity to give back to younger students while developing as a leader. VLP responsibilities include:
- Decorating the school to enhance Breakthrough spirit
- Helping to run lunch service
- Assisting a Breakthrough teacher in their academic class
- Co-teaching an elective class, such as dance, poetry, or soccer
- Supporting students in our after-school tutoring program
- Helping students organize their materials (homework binders, planners, and backpacks)
- Supervising students during All-School Meeting (ASM), lunch, recess, or after school
- Overseeing student use of the library
- Leading students in fun Breakthrough cheers
- Helping with special events such as Field Day, Spirit Week, Community Day, and Celebration
- Creating our annual Summerbook
- Assisting with administrative work (making copies, filing, etc)
- Helping to enforce the norms and expectations at Breakthrough
In summer 2021, our program will be a combination of in-person and virtual. VLP Level II and III Training will take place from June 9 – 11, 2021 from 11 am – 5:30 pm, while training for all VLPs will occur from June 14 – 22, 2021 from 11:30 am – 5 pm. The summer program commitment is June 23 – July 23, 2021. We will be virtual on Mon – Thu, from approximately 8:30 am – 2:30 pm each day. VLPs will be in-person on Mon – Wed from 4 – 5 pm, and throughout the day on Fri.
The VLP application for summer 2021 is now closed. The application will reopen in December 2021 for high school students interested in volunteering in summer 2022. To express interest and receive notification when the application launches, please complete this brief form. Questions can be directed to Shane Brent-Maldonado, Director of High School Programs.